Granite countertops had been up-and-coming a decade ago, however they continue being one of the most well-known options for kitchen areas and restrooms today. Home owners considering granite countertops could have a multitude of colors, habits and styles to select from. You can even get low priced granite countertops without compromising on appearance & high quality. Knowing the factual statements about granite before you buy can help you make the right choice - the one that can last for decades in the future. Below are a few associated with the aspects involved with selecting granite countertops:
Granite Countertops 101
Granite countertops are obviously unique, and so they add worth to virtually any home. Granite offers other advantages also, including:
- Various color and design options
- Temperature, scratch, reduction and substance weight
Granite ended up being expensive with regards to initially came onto the marketplace, nonetheless it became cheaper lately. Today, you can even add bevel, radius and square edging to granite countertops for a fair price. Some downsides to granite tend to be that it is cold, scratchable and vulnerable to harm from hot grease and repeated cutting as time passes. Furthermore, it is easy to see its seams. If you are evaluating granite with other normal rock choices, look at the following:
- Silestone, Corian and quartz countertops provide less color and design options
- Quartz and Silestone countertops are more expensive to set up
- Corian is very easily scratched, dented and damaged by pans
- Other normal stone countertops is installed without seams
Granite is rated the best natural rock countertop material because it is inexpensive and simpler to correct than other natural stone countertop materials. Quartz is a detailed 2nd, but its higher cost makes it a less appealing option for residents. Corian is often as affordable as granite countertops, but when you aspect in the cost of design, normal prices can skyrocket. Ultimately, it comes down down to what you need in a countertop and just how much you're willing to spend. Consult with a countertop contractor if you want to find out about exactly how granite comes even close to other natural rock products.
The Cost of Slab vs. Tile
Granite Slabs: $5 - $20 per square foot
Granite Tile: $5 - $15 per square foot
Granite countertops are presented in two types of product: slab and tile. The type most suitable for the project will depend on the square footage you'll want to cover, the number of seams you are happy to show therefore the amount of money you are happy to invest. Granite slab countertops cover a lot of countertop space and show a lot fewer seams. The largest slab offered is seven feet very long, and that means you'll need one or more slab when your countertop is more than seven legs. Granite slab is quite hefty; consequently, installation just isn't a DIY project. Granite tiles could make your property more inviting for selling without costing thousands of dollars. With tiles, you'll not need to get rid of the old countertop, but you will have a lot of seams calling for grout in-between. A 3rd choice is standard granite. Also referred to as "mini-slabs, " modular granite creates less seams because pieces are larger than tiles but smaller compared to old-fashioned pieces. Installation is potentially a DIY task; however, it will take at the least a couple. The reason being, like slab granite, standard granite is hefty.
The best place to Purchase Granite
When contemplating locations to buy your granite tiles or pieces, it's important to observe that home improvement stores offer a restricted offer. Regional fabricators and contractors have access to a wider variety of choices and can even charge less for granite in volume than a retail socket. Here are three reasons why you should go with a fabricator in the place of an area home improvement shop:
- Counter alternatives: Home improvement stores have actually a maximum of about 30 types of granite. They're considered commodity choices because they're consistent. Regional fabricators, alternatively, have access to countless unique options.
- Tips Install Granite Countertops: neighborhood shops do not individually put in your countertop; they outsource it to an authorized. This results in most confusion and hassle if some thing goes wrong. If you choose an area fabricator who has got a contractor on-hand, you will have no issue handling any problems that appear.
- Layout associated with area: Local manufacturers often take the time to really construct and pattern your countertop towards specs. A big-box store frequently only complements a pattern.
Evaluating Advantages And Disadvantages
Whether you need to put in slab or tile granite countertops relies on any project, your financial allowance and what you're seeking to achieve. You can purchase slab granite countertops for $50 to $60 per sq ft, whilst you can get granite tile for ten dollars to $40 per sq ft. Slab granite is better for kitchens with today's, modern look or tiny kitchens with a simple design. Granite tiles are best for complicated counter designs and difficult spaces. Tiles can certainly be good DIY task to save cash on the renovation; however, tile isn't for everybody. Some downsides to granite tile consist of:
- Cheap-looking in upscale kitchens
- Grout must certanly be sealed in addition to the tile
- Grout has to match tile exactly
- Grout needs to be resealed frequently
- Will need to have a hidden countertop underneath the tiles
- Must be scrubbed to remove food through the grout
Installing granite tiles involves laying them in a specific way, including the grout between and permitting the grout to dry for a number of hours. Granite slab, on the other hand, requires professional set up because of the body weight associated with slab. It usually takes about each day to put in a granite slab countertop. Slab granite also requires re-sealing occasionally, however it does not require upkeep frequently like granite tile does. A granite slab can be more straightforward to clean, rendering it better for cooking area function. Many home owners elect to put in a granite slab countertop, unless they're trying to find a quick option. Granite slab countertops keep going longer, are easier to put in and have less upkeep. As they're less expensive, granite tiles can cost more income over time.
Price to put in Granite Countertops
When you?ve opted for granite tiles or slab granite for the kitchen area or bath, it?s time and energy to start the countertop set up. A few of the additional expenses involved in this procedure feature:
- Labor: $300 - $500
- Edging: $200 - $300
- Materials (excluding granite): $400 - $600
- Seams: $200 - $300