Travertine, marble and limestone are all quite similar in actual and chemical structure, so cleaning and care processes tend to be virtually exactly the same for all three forms of stone. Let’s consider travertine for a minute. Travertine is less dense, than granite like, and it is responsive to acidic fluids eg wine, liquid and coffee.
A lot will depend on the type of finish applied to the travertine. Whenever a honed or tumbled finish is employed, it really is more susceptible to staining and dulling by “etching.” Due to its porosity it requires a sealer to guard against staining. Polished travertine is virtually stain-resistant.
Following tend to be 7 tips to assist clean and protect your travertine architectural stone:
1. Ensure that you seal the rock — if the home has travertine put in in bath, kitchen, dining room, etc., and it has a honed or tumbled finish, consult your designer to make sure the stone had been sealed. This will aid in the event of a spill of burgandy or merlot wine, cranberry liquid or another hostile broker, specially on countertops and flooring.
2. Wipe-up spills straight away — The stone is sensitive to things such as tomato sauce, ketchup and certain carbonated beverages. It is advisable to clean quickly utilizing hot-water and a stone cleaning product. Do not use vinegar, lemon or orange cleaning agents, bleach, ammonia or store-bought products that have
acids, alkalis or any other chemical compounds whenever cleaning travertine rock.
3. Dust mop a travertine flooring — Use a clear non-treated, dry dust mop regularly and then once weekly use a wet mop with heated water and an especially formulated stone soap. It's a good idea not to vacuum stone flooring since the device can cause potato chips and splits.
4. Safeguard and protect — Door mats and carpeting runners should be used to help to keep base traffic from attracting soil and elements that damage the travertine. For countertops and bathrooms, use coasters for several drinks and attractive trays to protect the travertine from beauty products and shower items like colognes, perfumes, essential oils, soaps and other toiletries. Prevention is the greatest solution in terms of keeping travertine rock.
5. Poultices for persistent stains — In the event that travertine gets stained and you can’t fix the problem through the normal cleansing treatments; a poultice may be the option. Create a paste by incorporating a formulated rock cleanser with cooking dust. Soft this across stain and cove with an obvious plastic place. Allow it to mean a few days as well as the poultice will slowly draw the stain away. Eliminate the poultice with warm water and buff with a cotton cloth or chamois.
6. Deep stains — when it comes to a critical stain with penetrated the stone and stays evident despite every cleaning procedure happens to be attempted, an alkaline cleaner may need to be administered. This type of cleanser are located in many tile and stone supply stores. It must be the very last resort for cleaning travertine stone.
7. Ask a specialist — Travertine is an excellent chosen stone for restrooms, kitchen areas and dining areas plus it’s luxurious appeal is a well known feature for real estate agents. Once you decide to integrate this stone into the design plan always ask an expert the limitations and performance of the style of stone — they are going to supply the answers for its proper care and just how to avoid harm, etching and staining.